Creative Ways to Repurpose Building Materials
Each year, a staggering 136 million tons worth of old construction and demolition materials wind up in local dumps and landfills. Construction waste accounts for nearly half of landfill waste. However, it doesn’t have to be this way. With a little creativity and ingenuity, repurposed building materials can add flair and style to any home.
How to Use Repurposed Building Materials
Instead of tossing the remnants of your recent renovation in the dumpster, here are a few simple, creative ideas to repurpose materials and benefit your home and wallet further.
- Bathroom Fixtures — Many of us love an antique aesthetic in the bathroom. It is entirely possible to use nothing but recycled materials, including copper, to create your new dream bathroom.
- Light Fixtures — An old light fixture seems useless, right? Instead of trashing yours, consider upcycling. Put your installation in a box and save it for your next home.
- Flooring — Repurposed flooring provides the same benefits as modern materials but without the extra hassle or cost. Furthermore, recycled flooring often helps improve indoor air quality!
Repurposing Your Old Door
Repurposing old fixtures is trendy. Here are a few creative ideas for your home’s old wooden door:
- Coffee Table — Turn your old door on its side, attach legs, and refinish the wood for a clean, aesthetically pleasing conversation starter at your next get-together.
- Playhouse — If you have more than one door, you can create a playhouse for your children in the backyard. The folks at EarthScape did just that with four old doors, building a teepee with recycled materials.
- Towel Hooks — Turn your old door on its side, hang it on the wall, and add towel hooks for a creative bathroom addition.
Put your mind to the task, and you can develop countless creative ideas to repurpose building materials after a deconstruction or renovation project. It can also be nice to take pieces of your old house with you moving forward on a new adventure.
Perhaps you’re more interested in donating old building materials? Contact Green Donation Consultants to speak with our team on how to donate while receiving tax benefits. Call 800-870-3965!